Dixie Longate is making her way around the country, selling Tupperware and sharing laughs with audiences from Vegas, to Texas to Jersey.
During her travels, she sat down and answered a few of our favorite questions with a flair that is uniquely Dixie. Don’t miss her stop at Walton Arts Center - 7 shows, 6 days and endless plastic dishware Make for the Best Night oUt!
What are five things you can't live without?
1) Jack Daniels would definitely top the list. I tend to enjoy a nightcap. Sometimes right when I wake up. It sets the tone for the day and makes things easier.
2) My best friend, Georgia Jean. As much as she makes me want to tie her up and push her off a bridge sometimes, there is no one who makes me laugh more.
3) Weekly visits to my favorite honky tonk to ride the mechanical bull. Nothing makes me happier than taking a few turns bucking up and down on that furry thing.
4) My Bedazzler. I bought one off the TV late at night a few years ago and I don't think there is anything in my trailer that don't have sparkles on it now.
5) My porch swing. Seems like there ain't nothing better in the whole world than finishing up the day sitting on the porch swing, staring out at the fireflies and listening to the crickets chirp. If I squint just right, I can see all the way to Heaven.
What's your motto or advice to live by?
You are better than you give yourself credit for. I think we all forget sometimes that within us, we all have something fantastic to offer the world. We just let other people extinguish our flames sometimes. There ain't no harm in patting yourself on the back every once in a while knowing that even in the smallest of ways, what each of us brings to the world is truly irreplaceable.
What would you do if you couldn't host Tupperware Parties?
Probably drink a lot more and practice this thing with my leg that I learned from Summers Eve down at the Pole Cat Lounge. She can lift her leg without even using her hands. She gets paid a lot of money on Thursday nights to do that. And she's a genuinely nice lady. Oh, I also like to knit.
What's going to surprise people about Dixie's Tupperware Party?
First of all, it ain't just for ladies. I get plenty of men coming to the show and laughing their butts off, which is always a fun thing. They don't know what they have been missing by not going to Tupperware parties all these years. Mostly though, I think people will be surprised by what an uplifting evening it ends up being. When you leave the show, you have a little extra spring in your step and you feel like you can take on the world a bit more.
What's the last thing you do before you step out on stage and the party starts?
I check my hair to make sure that I look pretty and stick a piece of gum in my mouth. I'm a gum chewer. Always have been. My momma told me that she thinks I have an oral fixation. I'm not sure what that is, but if it tastes like Big Red gum, then I am happy to have it.