Volunteers at WAC are a dedicated, passionate and fun-loving family who served over 27,000 hours in 2017.
We asked the volunteers who donated the most number of hours in 2017 to answer a few questions for us about their volunteer experience, insider tips and what they love about Walton Arts Center.
Volunteers Highlighted in this blog:
Sunshine Owens- May 2018 Volunteer of the Month
Catherine Koch- Sept 2017 Volunteer of the Month & donated over 629 hours to WAC
Kathy Knight- Donated over 800 hours to WAC & recognized for 15 years of volunteer service
Which WAC performance has been your favorite?
- I loved so many but I think I would have to say The King and I was my favorite last season. -Sunshine
- Season 2017-18, my favorite shows were Beautiful and Sound of Music. -Catherine
- I have enjoyed so many shows. I am a subscriber to the Broadway shows so I can enjoy them as a patron. My favorites –Book of Mormon, Kinky Boots, Shrek-the Musical, and the Canadian Ballet of the Nutcracker. -Kathy
What do you get excited about each season?
- Since I was a small child I have always loved the arts. I loved going to Broadway shows, the symphony and any musical concerts. When I became a mother I continued the tradition, taking my children to Little Rock Robinson Center Music Hall. I absolutely love Broadway and the Jazz Concert Series! -Sunshine Owens
- Broadway series. -Catherine Koch
- I really enjoy the Masquerade Ball- seeing everyone dressed up and raising money for the education programing is exciting. -Kathy Knight
What is your favorite WAC Memory?
- I was working one of the bars during a reception for some of our donors and the performers at the Broadway Sneak Peek for the 2018-2019 season. I had so much fun visiting with guests, especially the actors/singers. It was a blast! -Sunshine
- The memories of seeing excited and vibrant youth after experiencing educational shows in Starr Theater. -Catherine
- Since retiring, I really enjoy volunteering for the education programs - interacting with the children - many are at the WAC for their first live show, and they are so happy and excited. -Kathy
What are the greatest rewards of Volunteering?
- I love the fact that I have an opportunity to see shows and concerts I wouldn’t even think about seeing. I truly love seeing all the shows, concerts, etc., however, I feel like knowing that you are a part of helping others enjoy the arts and meeting all the other volunteers has been such a blessing in my life. I love my volunteer family. -Sunshine
- I enjoy working with the public, love working concessions, and meeting new people. I love hearing someone say this is their first time here. And as a volunteer I have enjoyed our potluck gatherings - getting to know each other a little better and having some fun at the same time. -Kathy
What Advice do you have for theatergoers?
If you can, go out to dinner before the event and make it a great family/friend evening. Be on time (if not early), be respectful of others, put phones away, sit back and enjoy! -Sunshine
WAC staff are responsible for selecting shows, and they do an outstanding job of meeting the interest of a cross section of the population of NWA. These shows offer a way of experiencing different points of view, a variety of artistic expressions and music enrichment. These are all opportunities to open ourselves to different points of view and experiences, which can make us more accepting and understanding of human nature. -Catherine
Front of House
Assist our operations team during Walton Arts Center, SoNA, Trike and TheatreSquared performances, as well as education shows and special events doing everything from taking tickets and ushering to selling concessions and checking coats.
Studio & Education Outreach
Work with Walton Arts Center and Crystal Bridges' Arts With Education (AWE) Institute, as well as with classes and camps on the WAC campus.
Assist in special tasks during annual events, like Artosphere: Arkansas' Arts + Nature Festival, Art of Wine Festival and Masquerade Ball.
Assist with a variety of office and clerical duties.
Work during performances and special events for TheatreSquared, Trike and SoNA and help Community Creative Center with classes and camps throughout the year.