“Rejecting gravity for over 30 years” – what a powerful claim! If you’ve ever seen DanceBrazil in action, you know how amazing their feats are!
These amazing dancers show audiences a fusion of Afro-Brazilian movement, contemporary dance and Capoeira, a traditional and complex martial art that combines dance and music. Interestingly, capoeira originated as a form of self defense! You can find out more in this article from The New York Times.
Willians Ferreira, one of the members of DanceBrazil, took some time to answer our questions about dance in his life. Thanks Willians!
1. How do the dancers train?
I believe that the most important part of a dancer’s training is discipline and professionalism.
2. What is your favorite thing about being part of Dance Brazil?
DanceBrazil is known for being one of the most professional companies in Brazil. I am very happy to be dancing with the company this year.
3. Do you have an artist you love that might surprise us?
My inspiration is Desmond Richardson, of the American dance company “Complexions”.
4. What kinds of art has been an inspiration to you?
After dance, I like music a lot!
5. What has been a memorable place to perform and why?
It was in Miami because it was my first real professional dance job. It was a very emotional experience for me!
6. Was there some great advice you received as you began your artistic journey?
To always have discipline and to be professional no matter where or what you do in life!
7. Fill in the blank; Dance is _____?
...my life and I love to do it!
Come see Willians and the rest of DanceBrazil on Friday, March 1!